Wednesday, May 23, 2012

More MD3000i Trickery

Tonight I found myself recovering a VM on a Windows 2008 R2 cluster connected to an MD3000i SAN.  To make very long and painful story short, it appears that someone applied a series of Windows Updates and then a Dell DSM update that screwed up the multipathing.

In the end, I resorted to breaking the cluster and then mounting the LUNs.  Most of the VMs I kept on one server, but I wanted to move a handful to what used to be the other node of the cluster.  However, when reassigning the LUN in the MD Client to another host, I received an error that there was already a persistent reservation on the volume and that I should talk to my administrator.

In order to free the SCSI-3 reservation on the LUN, I had to run this command:

smcli -n -c "clear virtualDisk [\"virtualDiskName\"] reservations

After that, I was able to successfully re-assign the LUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment